Sunday, December 2, 2007

Chicken Rice,please!

The other day, my roommate shared an interesting story with me and I translated it as follows:

My name is Ming. The first time I went out to eat in a restaurant, I looked at the menu and ordered BBQ Pork Rice. It tasted good-the meat was crispy outside and soft inside, together with the honey sauce, my taste buds told me they had the best experience ever. Since then, I would order BBQ Pork Rice every time no matter which restaurant I went to.

(Restaurant A) Ming: May I have BBQ Pork Rice?
(Restaurant B) Ming: I want BBQ Pork Rice!
(Restaurant C) Ming: Waiter, BBQ Pork Rice, please!
(Restaurant D) Ming: Waiter…
Waiter: BBQ Pork Rice!! I got it!

Surprisingly, BBQ Pork Rice tasted good everywhere! One day, I traveled to another city and went into a restaurant at noon. I searched through the menu but Alas, NO BBQ Pork Rice. What am I gonna eat?! I started to panic as the waiter approached me. I frowned and flipped the menu hectically at a light-year speed. Reading my face, the waiter suggested, “Chicken Rice is good. TRY it!” “Ok,” I replied. Then the Chicken Rice was brought before me. Feeling like a guinea pig, I took the first mouthful, then I took another, and another and another…until the plate was shiny clean. Gee…Chicken Rice tasted GOOD! For the first time, I realized that besides BBQ Pork Rice there was something else that was awesome too.

I went to restaurant D again.
Ming: Waiter, I want Chicken Rice!
Waiter: What?!
Ming: CHIC-KEN Rice, please!

Later, I even realized that there were actually many different kinds of rice that were amazingly delicious- Steak Rice, Roasted Duck Rice, Roasted Goose Rice, Minced Beef Rice…just to name a few. The question is: _WHY_ was I so afraid of making changes and trying new things? After all, if Chicken Rice didn’t turn out to be good, I could still order BBQ Pork Rice next time. Life should be full of new tries so as to be colorful.


I can really resonate with this story. We all have times in our lives when we are with an one-side mind and just cling to the good-old things in the name of safety while missing something else, something new, something creative and something of vitality. They can be good too. Hey, friends!
Let’s order Chicken Rice this time!

No comments: