Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Job Hunt - First Wave

Just came back from my daily English reading and thought that I should take a few minutes to update my blog. To practice my interpretation, I've formed a habit of reading out English loud for around 30mins most evenings (though I want to say "every evening", but God would know I lie) since last semster. A slight sense of giult was gripped off from me this evening when I closed my book cos I haven't spent the amount of time that I should have on my practice lately... Tracing it to the essencial cause, I have been swept into the first wave of job hunt.

October and December is the time when the so-call " Head comapnies"(namely large companies and cross-national cooperations) recruit different kinds of trainees. So campus talks come one after another like waves, bewildering enough to drown students who have little knowledge about them like me. I used to ignored those things cos I thought the chance of offer was too slight, say 1/80,000. Although the chance doesn't seem any better now and it will never be, I guess I can't shut my eyes against opportunities any more. About a month ago, I ran into a friend who graduated from Zhongda and now working in the Bank of China, he asked me if I was submiting my CV online. I shrugged my shoulder and replied,"NO". Then he tensely gave me a warning lecture right at the exist of the metro. I was thankful to that cos it was for my own good. Then as I was interning in the trade fair in the next three weeks, I didn't do much about online job application. That means I might have missed many good companies. Last week, I finally submitted my first online application to Nestle, and then this week to Maesk and maybe later to AC Nielson and Weyth... Again, the chance is slim, but as my friend says,"no matter what it turns out to be , you won't regret it as long as you have tried your best." So true!

Another thing that makes me have a complicated attitude towards this job-hunt wave is that I might be hanging in the air. As I involve myself in this wave, I can't spend as much time as I am supposed to in studying Spanish and preapring for TEM8 (test for English Major Band 8). That really causes me to feel unstable.

Last week, Vicky came into Guanzhou from the University City and we met up at Teenmall. You know, what a great feeling to hug the person whom you share telepathy with! Her situation is better cos she has been admitted to the graduate school of Zhongda, but she has immersed herself in this job-hunt wave much ealier than me. To her - those are more options besides going to grats school. It's really funny that she put her situation like this," I am just on a reprieve of two years." Haha...to be honest, I am sure such a talented girl won't have any problem finding a good job.

At this point, in face of the wave, I keep reminding myself:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

Jesse said...

I'm so proud of you for putting yourself out there and seeing what will happen. Like your friend said, what can happen but you get an offer? You're solid enough to know that not getting a job offer is not a reflection on you as a person and has nothing to do with your identity in Christ. I'm excited to hear what happens!